Saturday, February 23, 2013

Spring Thaw 10 Miler

Today I ran a 10 mile race.  I've run this race before, perhaps 4 or 5 times over the last 7 or so years.  My goal was to run under 1:04 which I've done only once before in 2009.

I was excited when I found Jocelyn at the start line.  Jocelyn is a VERY good runner (and also a very awesome person).  Like one of the "fastest amateur marathon splits at Kona" good.  She always beats me at running races but I thought *MAYBE* I could hang with her for a while if I felt really good.  She is a very good pacer and never goes out too fast and she told me she wanted to run under 1:04.  I figured she might be my ticket to do the same.

Wishful thinking.

The race started and well, let's just say I knew it was going to be a long 10 miles.  I hung with Jocelyn for about a mile but when she was chatting and I was already working very hard, I knew I had to let her go for sake of (my) survival.  I decided I would just run 6:20 pace as long as I possibly could.  That ended up being about 5 miles.  For the next 5 miles I worked on my positive self talk and mental toughness as I coaxed my (very) fatigued legs through another rough 5 miles.  I am proud to say I kept all the miles in the 6:30s and didn't totally blow up.  The last time I did this race I remember feeling similarly bad and my training log revealed that I started running 7:00+ pace.  It's the small victories.  :)

I was a bit disappointed after the race because I wanted 6:20 pace to be doable.  But Dirk reminded me that sometimes you have to leave the ego at the door and accept that training through races isn't always going to result in a PR.  Good point by him.  No doubt my pride was wounded and once I let that go, I was fine with it.  Good hard effort on tired legs and also good practice with remaining tough and focused when the going is not so good!  My final time was 1:05:30.  (and Jocelyn crushed 64 minutes with a 62 -- watch out tri world 'cause she's turning pro this year! :)

After the race, we stayed for the awards, and these two (husband on left w/hat and training partner Ben on right) ate about 23 pieces of pizza total.

They look like they might be hitchhiking.
One very cool thing about the race is that Dick Beardsley was there!  If you don't know who he is, you need to read Duel in the Sun.  It's a pretty awesome story.  He was signing photos for all the AG winners (and Alberto Salazar must have already pre-signed).

Talk about epic races!
As he was signing my photo, I asked if he remembered the race like it was yesterday to which he replied, "I remember it like it was just this morning!"  He told me he still runs 80-90 miles per week.  Pretty cool.  Although I had already read Duel in the Sun (the story about the 1982 Boston Marathon), I hadn't read Dick's autobiography Staying the Course so I couldn't help but buy a copy at the race.  He inscribed it with "Beth, Keep up the super running!  Hope you enjoy "staying the course".  Take care and God bless.  Dick Beardsley"

Indeed, "staying the course" is what it all boils down to.  Pretty good words to live by!

10 comments:

  1. PS and yes read his book:) its very moving!! I loved talking to him and meeting him!!! He has overcome SO much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job - I had a similar race last week, and the blow up was much bigger than that, and the race was only 8 :) You held it together well.

    Off to order the book from the library. Thanks for the rec!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on a hard run race! My Coach always helps me when I'm not happy with the numbers in my head as well (came up 2 minutes shy of my own perceived goal).
    Class Act Miss Beth, you are an amazing athlete!!! Great seeing all of you out there!!!
    Guess I will need to get the books now as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job, Beth! You are right on track for o'side this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job! Way to keep it together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job Beth! You went after it - so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes it is fun to take the risk and blow up a bit -- then you know "Ok....this is where I am at now..." :) Congrats - sounds like you guys had some fun and RAN well too!

    COME ON SPRING!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A post I very much can related to: racing on tired legs but still setting high goals and I ask, what's wrong with shooting for the stars? Nothing. If we fall short, we will still most likely end up closer to the stars than we had before. Now we just gotta hit those stars when we are rested and ready to go!

    ReplyDelete