Monday, November 6, 2017

It Was A Good Run

6 years ago I wrote a blog about my decision to race pro in triathlon the following year.  I re-read that blog not long ago and smiled.  I was so darn young and green.  And giddy with excitement.  I was SO FREAKING hungry to see just how fast I could go.  And now, 6 years later, I am happy to say, I really feel like I answered that question.  I chased my passion and did the very best I could.  And I am so, so thankful for the opportunity that I was given to do this.

6 years of racing pro triathlon.  It was a good run!  I met the most fantastic people.  I traveled to really cool places.  I laughed hysterically.  I cried probably just as much.  I saw the very rawest version of myself.  Racing gives you a front row view of that.  Sometimes I liked what I saw.  Other times, not so much.  Chasing a dream and having a passion is such a gift - it will give you the highest of highs and the lowest of lows.  I don't regret one second of it, even the bad decisions I made.  They always eventually turned to good.

At Ironman Louisville a few weeks back, I raced my last pro triathlon.  It was a fantastic end to a career I'm proud of.  Most of all, I am proud that I raced with integrity.

And now, I make the transition to life.  It's a transition I've already been making so it's not a huge jolt.  Although I was always worried I wouldn't know how/when to finish pro triathlon, it was actually much smoother than I thought.  I just knew it was time and I just knew what I wanted to do next in life.

I have just as much passion and competitiveness inside of me.  Now I channel it into different things: The Run Formula, which is my baby; family and friends; new athletic goals - mountain biking (Xterra?), trying to break 3 hours in the marathon, Pemi Loop with my boss, going after a sub 20 minute 1650 in the pool.  Oh and maybe watching a little tv, hanging out at my favorite place (The Villa - duh!), and sleeping in every now and then.  Life on the other side ain't bad at all.

Blogging doesn't seem like a thing people do anymore.  Maybe I'll do it anyway, because I'll have to share my pictures of my mountain biking bruises somewhere!  Or maybe I won't.  That's the thing about retirement - you do what you want, when you want to.  :)

Who doesn't love pizza and a coke after a 70.3?  My last, in Augusta, Georgia in September.

After IM Louisville, we did Louisville things.

One of my all time favorite races (why, I'm not sure - it's always miserably hot), Eagleman 70.3, this year.  With some of my favorite friends in the world that I've been racing with for ages.  :)

Okay, pizza and a coke after a race is great, but burger, fries and milkshake with Kim after a race - EVEN BETTER!  Chattanooga 70.3 in May.

Steelhead 70.3 in August.  Amber and I laughed so hard my stomach hurt.  :)

These two.

Run Formula Vermont Trail Camp!  More of this fun to come!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your Professional career.

    You should blog once in a while. I like to see what you are up to.

    I have no idea how long I've read your blog. I was probably 16, and you 24. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you keep blogging, have loved following you through all your adventures. Sounds like many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still read your blog! Congrats on a very respectable career as a pro. You should be very proud. And to think you don’t have to go back to a 9-5 job either! Lots of racing still to be had without all the pressure-THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete