Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Track

Today after work I jogged over to the local high school track as the sun was setting for some 1000 repeats.  As I was doing a bit of a dynamic stretching routine to get ready to go, I had a deja vu moment to earlier in the year, February actually, when I was doing the same exact thing on a very similar evening.  It occurred to me how much has happened in the interim 9 months.  I've come a far way in terms of athletic maturity and although I have a long way to go, I couldn't help but smile a little and be thankful for the progress I've made. 

And then I thought back to all the 100s (perhaps 1000s) of track workouts I've done through the years.  20+ years of being a runner means I've run a lot of circles in my life.  I can still remember in great detail so many workouts and races on that simple oval track.  It's not a bad way to spend your days.  I hope I can continue for many, many years to come.

Greensburg Salem High School track team in 1996ish (?).  I'm the one in the black shirt with short hair.  And yes, I have shorts on but they just happen to be the same color as my shirt apparently.
Here's hoping you also enjoy a track workout or two in your lifetime!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Whenever I'm doing a track workout, I always think back to high school track at least once and remember the types of workouts we did and think about how my fitness has changed. (Once, a few years ago, when the hurdles were left out by mistake, I decided to see if I'd missed my chance at being a star high school hurdler- I was lucky to walk away from that experiment with all of my teeth and no injuries!) I've lost short-distance speed & gained endurance, but every now and then I think it'd be fun to see if I could get someone faster to pace me through an 800 so I could try to beat my high school PR :)

    ReplyDelete